"The Joy of Living"

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

S'mores Cookie Bars with Biscoff Cookie Crust


Yesterday I was looking through my board of "Recipes to Try" on pinterest. Of the hundreds I have pinned and have yet to try, most are desserts. What can I say? My sweet tooth tends to take over most of the time.

One of the recipes I pinned was for Betty Crocker's Toasted Marshmallow S'mores bars and, since I really had a hankering for something sweet, I thought I would give it a whirl. But looking through the ingredient list, I got an idea. Those who know me well know that I am completely obsessed with Biscoff cookies—the ones you get on Delta flights and (for any of you who have been to France) taste very similar to Bastogne cookies. In fact, when I found out from another blogger that Biscoff had a SPREAD very similar in consistency to peanut butter, I had to run out and buy a tub right away. Since then, I've been trying to come up with ways to incorporate the cookies or the spread into other recipes. So much that my husband made fun of me and asked if I was going to try to make Biscoff gravy. Hmm, I wonder how I could make that work... :)

But all joking aside, I found a way to incorporate Biscoff into the S'mores bar recipe and it was a great success. I dunno if you can really, truly call my concoction "S'mores" bars, since they don't contain one of the main 3 s'mores ingredients—graham crackers. Those I decided to replace with Biscoff crumbs. The result was amazing! If you like S'mores and Biscoff, this recipe will not disappoint. I'd recommend enjoying these with a glass of milk.

S'mores Cookie Bars with Biscoff Cookie Crust

Ingredients:
1 pouch (17.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1 cup Biscoff cookie crumbs (I pulsed mine in my food processor)
1 cup butter, melted
3 cups (18 oz) milk chocolate chips
4 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and Biscoff crumbs. Stir in melted butter until soft dough forms. Press into ungreased 13x9-inch pan.

2. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.

3. Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over chocolate. Broil with top 4 to 5 inches from heat for 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely as marshmallows will brown VERY quickly ). Cool 10 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.* Serve warm and store remaining in an airtight container.

*I would recommend putting the pan in the fridge for a bit after cutting them, as the marshmallow tends to be very gooey and it will help it harden enough to separate the bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment