"The Joy of Living"

Friday, September 23, 2011

Thoughts on some new and returning shows...

I am going to sound like a 12 year-old teeny bopper, so lemmie preface this post by saying I didn't PLAN on watching--and ultimately LOVING--Vampire Diaries. A co-worker had just bought a bunch of TV series sets and didn't need them after all. She didn't have her receipt, so rather than return them to Best Buy, she gave them away at work. By the time I got to the box of DVDs, it was slim pickins. So I picked up the first season of Vampire Diaries, thinking I would just give it a shot and entertain myself by laughing at how lame it was. But I have to admit, I got hooked. I ploughed through the first season and went right out and bought the second. Then I had to get DVR to record the third, which just started last week. It really is quite entertaining and I'll tell you why. Sure, the basic premise is somewhat similar to Twilight (human girl meets vampire hottie and they fall in love, yada, yada, yada...), but it is a LOT more exciting and there are many interesting stories of the other characters intertwined. PLUS, it is unpredictable at times because people die. Lots of them. Good people who didn't have it coming even. And finally, how can you beat two HOT vampire brothers (see below) AND the addition of Matthew Davis (you may remember him as the hottie who played Elle's ex in Legally Blonde) as the rugged, passionate vampire tracker/high school history teacher? Exactly. You can't.

For the more mature folk, one new show that we have found interesting enough to continue recording is "Person of Interest." It reminded me a lot of "Minority Report" and stars Jim Caviezel as a down-on-his-luck, ex-CIA hitman who accepts a job as a guy who prevents crimes before they happen. The first episode featured enough action and intrigue to make it interesting.

Two new comedies are "Up All Night" and "New Girl." The first stars Christina Applegate (as mom) and Will Arnett (as stay-at-home dad). Though not hilarious, it has its funny moments and is cute enough to keep watching--at least, for now. "New Girl" stars Zooey Deschanel (Buddy's girlfriend in "Elf") as an oddball girl who moves in with three guys after her boyfriend cheats on her. It's also pretty funny and worth checking out. Also, we had to record "Modern Family," since that is always good. We watched the first episode the other day and is it just me, or is Gloria's accent even thicker? :)

Another show I've DVRed and have yet to watch is "Revenge," which is supposedly about a girl who moves into a town to exact revenge on those who have destroyed her family. So we'll see how that one is. But the fall lineups are looking pretty good so far. The only one I would NOT recommend is "The Secret Circle." I DVRed it because it came on after Vampire Diaries and looked interesting from the preview. It's not. It's kinda boring and definitely sophomoric. Not worth the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment